Sunday, May 17, 2009

Reticella



...and this is what started my needle lace interest.  I first saw a picture of reticella lace on the internet a few years ago.  My first thought was - Must.Learn.To.Make.This.  I have no idea why I was so smitten by reticella.  I usually tend to prefer more florally, flowing designs.  Reticella is geometric.  Strange.  I really liked it though and started on a quest to find out more about making reticella.

Both of the patterns came from the internet.  Yeah, they need to be blocked:) but they've been sitting in a box for a while now!  I first made the squares - the one on the left first and then the one on the right.  I think I used DMC perle cotton No. 5 - whatever the directions called for.  I don't think the website exists any more - at least I don't remember it popping up a few weeks ago when I googled reticella.  The directions were not written well and if you were to follow them exactly, the piece would have fallen apart when the lace was removed from the backing.  Luckily I caught it just in time and made sure it would stay intact when removed.  

The only other thing I could find online was the second pattern.  I don't remember much about it - there were some confusing point but I managed to stumble through them.  I also don't remember the thread used - probably some sort of size 10 judging by the piece.  Big and bulky, another words.  

Once I finished those 2 pieces I put needle lace and reticella (and actually most other lace) aside for a few years.  Although I am still intrigued by needle lace, I am still mostly smitten by reticella and would prefer to focus on that.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any good books showing how to make reticella.  I found mention of reticella in a few old books that I downloaded, but all of them assume prior knowledge.  I would like a book to start from the very beginning and not omit any key steps.  Another words, Reticella for Dummies!  I know I can probably fake my way through a lot, but I want to make it "properly" if there is any such thing.  Since there really do not appear to be too many other options, I will end up taking one of my old needle work books and try to stumble through those patterns.  

ETA: I know that *true* reticella is drawn threadwork.  However given my skills with a needle (or lack thereof!) I don't exactly see myself doing drawn threadwork anytime soon.  If I want to make these lovely designs, I need to make them as punto di aria.  Not quite the same, but will have to do for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment