Sunday, May 17, 2009

Needle Lace


...and this is why I haven't had much tatting to post lately.  I've been trying my hand at needle lace.  This cute little flower (well, the pattern is cute, my execution - not so much!) is from Starting Needlepoint Lace by Valerie Grimwood.  

I actually started this piece several years ago but only got to laying down the cordonnet.  The pattern calls for using size 20 and 40 thread, which I did not have on hand at the time.  Rather than order some and wait for the order to come in, I used size 10 and 30.  I don't even remember what kind of thread used though.  I also think I enlarged the pattern a bit.  Maybe.  Recently I picked it up again and finished it.

I'm glad it's done, but I'm not sure I'm very happy with it.  The tension is all over the place and I had a hard time with the cordonnette.  I think I pulled a lot of stitches in the filling out of alignment while making the cordonnette.  Also, although the book is very good and provides detailed instructions, I thought there were some things missing.  Then again, this is the first time I am trying to teach myself how to do something from a book.  A steeper learning curve is pretty much to be expected.

I am looking forward to making more needle lace.  Kind of funny that I want to learn how to make it, considering that I pretty much have a needle-phobia.  I guess making lace is much different than sewing!  I will also probably be happier with the results once I use finer thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment