I have been tatting for a while now and can do some of the "advanced techniques" without really thinking about them. Mainly split rings - I really could probably do them in my sleep, thanks to making all the hearts in Teri Dusenbury's book. I don't have the book with me right now and I don't recall the exact title. I have done split chains before, but usually don't bother as I don't mind sewing in ends.
Although I conceptually knew how to do SCMR and I understood how to make them, I had never tried them. Last weekend I decided it was time to try them. I made this little butterfly from the shuttle brothers' web site (made with DMC 80).
I was happy to see that SCMRs really are easy to make. I did notice though that it takes quite a bit effort to pull the "base" thread to close the mock ring. Probably not a good choice for metallic threads.
Next on the list - clunies. Can do them in bobbin lace, but have never tried them in tatting before.
Good for you for trying the SCMR. That butterfly is a perfect pattern for practising. Jane Eborall has a beautiful floral SCMR pattern that is not only pretty, but a good practise for SCMR's. :)
ReplyDeleteI like making that little butterfly. If you like the SCMR technique, get the Shuttle Brothers books. They are fantastic! Their new one takes the SCMR concept a bit further than the first book. Have fun with the clunies. That was the hardest technique for me to master so far. Be ready for hand cramps until you get the hang of them!
ReplyDelete