One of my many WIPs is the doily Arches from Yarnplayer's (http://yarnplayertats.blogspot.com) blog. Yesterday when working on round 3, I realized that one of the picots in round 2 is cut in half! At least it looks like it's cut in half. The cut is too clean to be a rip. I have no idea how it happened though. My best guess is that I somehow cut it when cutting off the ends. It's something that I've never done before and I hope to never do again. When I noticed the cut, I figured I have two choices
-ignore it
-cut out round 2 and start again
I chose the first, more lazy option. I will probably regret it later, but it's a small doily, so if I really want to, I can always do it again later. I'm still quite mad that this happened though! The perfectionist in me will always hone in on that cut picot. You can see the cut picot on the left side of the scan. So frustrating! I had to alter the pattern a bit to cover for the cut picot as the cut picot is also a joining picot. If it pulls the doily out of shape too much in the next round, I will probably end up cutting out the offending round and start again from round 2.
Thread used: DMC Tatting cotton No. 80 in white
You could always fix it. Undo it back to the previous ring cut the thread and add in new thread CTM. I have instruction on adding in thread on my blog. Re tat the ring hiding the old threads as you go and end at the next ring cut of the threads and hide the ends. It's a stinker, but it's do-able.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sharon. I will probably will end up doing something like that as long as the next round looks all right. The cut picot will bother me way to much to just leave it there. Now to work up the nerve to fix it...
ReplyDeleteLOL! "The offending round", LOL! That's a good one! I love it...only because I understand all too well. When we make a mistake in tatting it's not like crochet at all... the mistakes are costly, LOL! Costly, time-wise, that is.
ReplyDeleteI love Marilee's "Arches" doily. I've been wanting to try it for some time now. Good for you.