I recently made these two stars using a random metallic thread that I received over the holidays. The thread has absolutely no markings anywhere on the spool.... The pattern is from Geklöppelte Weihnachtssterne by Carla Müller-Sauer.
The thread is fabulous to work with! Luckily, it's a big spool! It is the first metallic thread that I have used that has absolutely no stretch whatsoever. Sewings were a little iffy, since the thread liked to "stick", but I never snapped it, even though I pulled quite hard at times. I really didn't plan on making 2, but after I was finished, I was itching to make something else with the thread. The bobbins were already wound, the pricking was still on the pillow, so it just made it easy to start a second one. I will give one to the person that gave me the thread.
I am not too happy with my petals. I still get a little anxious when I see that I have to make petals. I've actually made quite a few - not quite the 1000 they say you need to do before you are comfortable making them, but I would estimate that I've probably made a few hundred. They could use more work though they are getting better. Now when I undo a petal, it's because it's uneven or not pretty and I pretty much decide to undo it. The petals no longer end up looking like strange misshapen braids, like they sometimes did at first! I still need a lot of practice though.
This was my first time using metallic thread for bobbin lace. I know, I decide to start using metallic thread in a pattern that requires petals! The petals were both easier and harder to make using this thread than when using cotton. It was easier to tension, but harder to "fudge" the petal into shape when it was done. I actually think this pattern looks better made form the stiff metallic thread than if it was made in cotton. The thread is stiff enough for the snowflake to hold it's shape on it's own. I don't see cotton doing that. The scan also does not do it justice - it's very sparkly:)
These are gorgeous! This is one of the lovelier bobbin lace patterns that I've seen.
ReplyDeleteI love these stars! I have a special fondness for Clunies. The color is fantastic, too!
ReplyDelete