This doily caught my eye when I first saw it, but the 20 little flowers in the 10th round kept me from starting it. Then I made another doily where the final round consisted of several little motifs (3 rounds each!) and I realized that I don't mind making tons of little motifs. The worst part was trying to finish the ends once the motifs were attached to the large doily. I realized it is much easier if I make the small motifs first and attach them later, which is exactly what I am doing with this doily.
The first 9 rounds are simple rings and chains. The 10th round consists of the little flowers and then there are 2 more rounds of rings and chains. When I finished the 8th round, I stopped and made all 20 little flowers. I am now attaching the flowers as I make the 9th round. The nice thing about doing it this way, is that the 9th round is just flying by!
I started this doily several years ago but only got about half way through the 4th round. I picked it up again in late Dec. last year. I will probably work on it until it's done. The little flowers were actually fun to make on their own. There is a mistake in the 5th or 6th round, but I really, really have to look for it to find it. By the time I discovered it, I would have had to take out 1.5 rounds and I just couldn't bear the thought of doing so. I'm glad I didn't - in this case, it wouldn't have been worth it. I figure that if I have to look that hard to find the mistake, knowing it is there, nobody else will be able to see it. And if they do, oh well:)
Thread used: DMC 80 in ecru. The pattern is from Il lavoro Chiacchierino (publisehd by Mani di Fata) no. 7.
What a gorgeous doily! I'll have to see if I have that particular book...I have some of the "Chiacchierino" mags, but I don't know if I have that one or not...thanks for naming the source. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing it completed. It is beautiful. And in size 80 no less! Wonderful.
ReplyDelete