Sunday, September 12, 2010

Morton motif II


I need a better title for this series of posts..

As I mentioned earlier this month, I want to try making this motif in several of my variegated threads to see how they work up. This time I tried a second spool of Signature size 40 cotton thread (M03). The actual tatting was complete towards the end of last month, but the ends didn't get sewn in until last weekend.

This color definitely looked better on the spool than when I started working with it. At first glance it would seem like an ideal color for me - shades of brown! How can you go wrong! But... Something about the colors just doesn't speak to me. The thread consists of 3 colors - dark brown, light brown/tan, reddish brown. Each color on it's own is absolutely beautiful (especially the dark brown!), but together they don't do anything for me. Too bad.

As I noted previously, this thread, it works up very nicely. A bit smaller than DMC 80, but quite sturdy for it's size and easy to work with.

3 comments:

  1. I love this pattern, but I agree with you about the thread. It would look even prettier in a better colour. Thread can be such a surprise and not always a positive one when it is tatted up!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if that thread would work better tatted into one of Martha Ess' block-tatted foxes?

    They sound like foxy colors to me. :-)

    Great job on your motif! It is challenging to get even thread tension on the chains and yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks really good! I am not into brown, but this looks nice, like something that's part of the autumn color scheme. :)

    ReplyDelete