Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Needle lace flower



I was so inspired by the little needle lace flower I completed last month, that I had to start another one!  This pattern is also from Introduction to Needlepoint Lace by Nenia Lovesey and was also made with size 20 and 80 DMC cordonnet.

The fillings are starting to look a bit more even, though I obviously have a long way to go.  All the patterns were made with double bruxelles stitch (I hope the spelling is correct).  Increasing and decreasing evenly in curved areas still poses a challenge, but I assume that is something that will only go away with a lot of practice.

The main thing I dislike about this piece is my choice for the center filling.  I attempted to do corded bruxelles stitch, and I think it is way too similar to the fillings in the petals.  There is not enough contrast in the fillings between the petals and the center.  Something to keep in mind if I ever make a similar pattern.

I also don't like the way I arranged for the petals to overlap.  It really doesn't follow any rhyme or reason.  Instead of looking at the big picture, I was looking at the line drawing for the flower and trying to determine each petal individually.  Oh well, I guess that's another part of needle lace that comes with experience.

Overall it was a fun little flower to make.  And as opposed to sitting unfinished for well over a year, I completed it in about a month!  Progress!

The flower is ~ 3 inches wide.

As a total aside, I learned a valuable lesson about textured nail polish and needle lace.  If anyone follows nail polish trends, textured nail polish is very in right now.  I finally found some textured nail polish in a drug store* and of course had to immediately try it.  The threads didn't exactly catch, but they sure didn't flow nicely over my nails either!  I like the look, so I'm wiling to put up with it, but it would probably be more of an issue if I actually worked with fine threads.

*I only buy drug store nail polish.  It's a good rule of thumb to follow in an effort to keep my collection from getting too big.

2 comments:

  1. Funny- about the nail polish! Never know what you will read on the blogs!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your flower is beautiful, despite the sections that disappoint you. I am amazed at the fillings! They must have taken ages to complete. I've never tried needle lace, but I do find it fascinating... something else on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete