Sunday, March 24, 2013

Needle Lace




Yeah, it's been a while since I picked up needle lace!

I started this piece a looooong time ago.  As in, early last year.  I got through part of it and then set it aside until recently.  I have been going through my WIPs to figure out what the heck is going on when I came across this flower again.

I am not sure what to write since most of it was actually completed last year so I don't remember many of the working notes.  The pattern is from Introduction to Needlepoint Lace by Nenia Lovesey.  Looking at the finished product, I think it would have looked better made with slightly thicker thread.  The filling stitches are made with DMC 80.

Obviously my fillings need a lot of help!

I am not sure what I think of needle lace.  As I was finishing this, I mentioned to my husband that I am still undecided on whether I like making needle lace or not.  He laughed and said I say that whenever I work on it.  I think I like making it, but I am still very much a beginner and my lace does not look good.  I like making it (I think), but am always very disappointed when I finish.  As of now, I will keep on making the occasional piece until I decide either way.

One of the difficulties I have is deciding on the thread to use.  The previous few samples mentioned the thread size, but for this one I don't remember any guidance.  It's a little disappointing to finish and realize the thread size was off.  I'm sure that comes with practice though.  Although to be honest, if I decide to remake this flower, I will decrease the size rather than go up in thread size!

For this piece I printed the pattern onto blue paper and then placed in on brown wrapping paper before covering the whole thing with clear contact paper.  So far of all the things I have tried, this probably worked best (based on what I can remember)...  The only nerve wracking thing was cutting through the couching stitches when I was done.  I couldn't cut between two layers of cloth and had to cut between the paper and the lace.  Needless to say, I worked *very* slowly.

1 comment:

  1. I"m fascinated by needle lace, however, I've never actually tried making any. I think yours looks fabulous!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Now I know where yours is!

    ReplyDelete