Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Brood II


I am anxiously awaiting the emergence of brood II, although I don't have high hopes for seeing any cicadas where we live now.  Luckily I was fortunate enough to live in an area with a lot of them during brood X in 2004.  The number of cicadas was both more and less than what I had expected - more than I had realistically expected but less than I had secretly hoped for.  Those little guys are so cool!

Since I don't expect to see any of the brood II critters, I had to make one for myself as a consolation bug.  I made one way back in 2004, but have long since lost the pattern.  Luckily, I was able to google the pattern and was most excited that it still exists on the web!  9 years is a loooong time for the internet so I really didn't have high hopes for finding it.  If anyone wants to make their own bug, the pattern can be found here.

For some reason in my mind I kept thinking that I made the first cicada in size 80 thread.  I may have started with size 80, but when I finally ended up making with perle cotton in either size 8 or 12.  Somehow the tatted cicada not only survived all the moves, but I even know where he is!  This time I made him in Lisbeth size 40.  Due to the higher quality thread, the bug is a bit stiffer.  The first time around I even added yellow wire legs. He's too dusty to be shown off though...

The photo of the cicada in the pattern is much cuter than mine.  Mine looks more like a house fly.  If house flies had red eyes, that is.  Come to think of it, it looks more like an overgrown fruit fly:)  I still think he's cute and will have to do in case I don't see any real live brood II cicadas around here.

To anyone that may read my blog and lives further south - I hope you enjoy the emergence of brood II!

This little guy is just under 1 inch long.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not one for bugs, but this one sure is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one mighty fine looking insect you have there!

    However, I doubt the cicadas will notice after the 17 year (13 this year) waiting to celebrate!

    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the memories. We were in Cincinnati a few years ago when there was a huge emergence. We were surrounded by them and were totally fascinated too. We drove round looking for large colonies too. Lovely tatted cicada too!

    ReplyDelete