Sunday, June 30, 2013

Teneriffe



Ah, teneriffe lace.  I'm not sure why I keep coming back to it since I am not at all happy with how my pieces turn out.  The lace itself is pretty (that excludes my pieces!) but I am always disappointed when the final pieces look and feel so flimsy.  I am still convinced that my patterns and thread size are horribly mismatched, but I can't quite bring myself to go back to thick thread.  I also can't help but thing that I am missing some basic knowledge when I try to make this lace.  Oh well.

I decided to play with teneriffe lace again last week.  I had been looking forward to making this pattern - it has a flower in the center after all! - and I think it is one of my favorite pieces I have made so far.  I definitely think this would have worked better with either thicker thread of a smaller pattern.  As it is, my flower looks more like wheel spokes than a flower:)

Once I was finished and took the pattern off the pillow I was extremely disappointed by how flimsy the piece is.  I also caught two mistakes that I had not noticed before.  One is visible on the lower left hand side.  I have no idea what happened, but it seems like the spoke slipped out of the knot?!?  Hard to explain, but that's the only thing I can think of.  No clue how I managed that.  It's also hard to tell from the scan, but it also looks like I forgot to make a knot around one of the spokes.

Not much else to say about this piece.  It was made with DMC special dentelles no. 80 in ecru and is ~ 2.5 inches in diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment