I looked through all my WIPs yesterday to see if there was *anything* I could find to post - all these picture-less posts are getting very, very boring! I would be surprised if anyone is still reading my blog.
A while back (ahem, two years ago...), I started testing out some of my variegated thread using the same motif to see how the colors work up. I never got past the first two threads, although the shuttles were wound for the the third one. Yesterday evening I decided to put the shuttles to use and try making the same motif with the third thread.
This motif is also made with Signature size 40 cotton thread (M11). I have no clue if these colors have a more descriptive name or not. Looking at the spool I was afraid the color would be too similar to first color I tried, but luckily I was wrong. The addition of orange and changing the red to fuchsia makes a big difference. Definitely much brighter than anything I would normally work with.
I had to read through my previous posts to see what I had titled this series. In doing so, I realized that I had mentioned that in addition to incorporating the change that Fox had made in her medallion, I also incorporated an accidental modification. Unfortunately I have no clue what that second accidental modification was. I vaguely recall drawing out the pattern I followed when I first made the medallion, but I don't know the drawing is now. It was probably pitched the last time I went on a cleaning spree. I followed the design in Lyn Morton's book Tatting Patterns and incorporated Fox's modification.
It has been a while since I started a new tatting pattern and it has been a while since working with fine thread. My current WIP that I pick up occasionally is made with very thick thread. I goofed at the start a bit. I should have looked at the diagram more closely, but I ended up making the first large ring with the wrong shuttle. Oops. Rather than start from scratch, I decided to live with the mistake. It causes the chains to overlap strangely, but I can live with that.
Still reading - and happy to see this pretty colourful motif!
ReplyDeleteFox : ))
I'm still reading!!! Though I admit I was delighted to see such a cheerful color photo.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on today's post. We all find projects we set aside [insert length of time here]. And wrack out brains to recall what we had intended to do. It's all good!
I recognized this motif right away (VERY pretty!), and didn't realize you had tatted it two other times, back in 2010 when I also had tatted it! All three of your motifs are nicely done!
ReplyDeleteI only did the pattern (successfully) once, and I showed it on my post of 2/14/10 - in red thread - in time for Valentine's Day. I found the long chains to be tricky, but I love the heart shapes that are formed.
I had found the pattern on Lynn Morton's web site, where it was listed as a free pattern at that time. I put five picots in my rings, though. Fox was also trying to tat this pattern around that time, and was frustrated with it, but was finally successful!
I had meant to compliment your wonderful bobbin lace tulip in your August post. Bobbin lace still mystifies me, even though I've observed it many times. Winding all those bobbins and dealing with those gazillion pins intimidates me!
Kathy - you really should try bobbin lace! I bet that once you were looking at your own pillow the number of bobbins and pins would no longer intimidate you. Somehow it makes a lot more sense when you try to work it than when you are only an outside observer (that's actually true for most things...). You can always start with tape laces where you complete the entire pattern with a few pairs of bobbins - typically 5 - 7 pairs. Even then, you only handle two pairs at any given time!
DeleteReally beautiful!! Great colors!! :)
ReplyDelete