Friday, July 23, 2010

Knotted Lace book review

Mediterranean Knotted Lace - Elena Dickson


I've been teaching myself to make mediterranean knotted lace using this book. I think she wrote one other book, but I only have this one. There is not much out there about this lace so I've pretty much relied on this book.

The book explains the basic stitches very well, both with schemes and photos of how to do the stitches. I had no problems following the instructions and was able to make the basic stitch immediately After showing how to do the basic stitches, there are some beginner's patterns that are fully explained and easy to follow. Most of them are edgings to be attached to fabric. There are clear photographs of all the projects as well.

As new elements are introduced, they are well explained (i.e. how to add thread, go around a corner, etc.) After the few beginner's patterns, there are detailed instructions for 7 little motifs. I don't necessarily think they are arranged in increasing difficulty. When I made them, I jumped around and worked them in what I thought was increasing difficulty. My motifs (or rather sorry attempts in some cases...) are shown here, here, here, here, here, and here. Making the stitch is easy, but getting the tension even is more difficult, as you can see from my early motifs.

The motifs all have step-by-step instructions both diagrammed and written out. I preferred to look at the diagrams and did not follow the written instructions, which was a problem in a later pattern. I would recommend beginners try to follow both in order to become familiar with both.

After the motifs there are several samplers all of which are worked as an edging on a round fabric center. All new stitch combinations are clearly shown with diagrams and the finished item is well photographed.

At this point not all the instructions are diagrammed (unless a new stitch is shown), but there are still detailed written instructions for all the steps. Since I was not used to following the written instructions, this proved to be a bit problematic for me. I had to learn to follow the written instructions in a larger piece, which was probably more frustrating than it would have been in a little motif.

All in all the book is very well laid out and explains the stitches and the projects well. I had very few difficulties making the projects in the book even though I was/am a complete beginner to knotted lace. I would have preferred all diagrams instead of half diagrams/half written instructions, but that's a personal preference.

Of course, as with most needle techniques, a lot of practice is required before the final piece resembles the photos:)

No comments:

Post a Comment