After throwing away the cork pad, I decided to try the plastic yogurt lid again. I think I mentioned it when I made the first Teneriffe mat. Basically I attach the grid to a plastic yogurt lid and then work the web on the plastic. It worked OK, I guess, but it wasn't as easy as the cork pad. It's easier to work the web around pins than it is to work it under stitches. That's probably just me though.
While the work in progress was still under quite a bit of tension (as seen by how bowed the yogurt lid got), it wasn't nearly as bad as the cork ring. As you can see the finished piece is much, much more even. I did change where I put the second row of knots, but you should still be able to see how much more even one is compared to the other.
Here are the two side by side, for comparison.
Left: cork pad
Right: yogurt lid
It's actually a bit easier to see the comparison in real life, but I think the scan is quite indicative of the difference as well.
More to follow...
On an unrelated topic, I really don't like the software that came with my scanner! When I crop images to scan, it changes the sizing as well. I don't know how to get around that. Ideally it would save the image in real size. I think at one point I tried to scan a whole page and then cut the images later, but it still resized them. Bummer.
Have you seen the free book you can download from American Library Archives:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.archive.org/details/cu31924058822986
This one is on teneriffe. I'm exploring other lace books.