Sunday, March 9, 2014

Butterfly doily



Finally done!

I have very mixed feeling about this doily.  I am happy it's finally done, but I am not thrilled with it either.  Oddly, the butterflies on the outer edge which inspired me to make the doily are exactly what I don't like about it!  They are different, for sure, but really not my thing.

The picture below is where the doily was about 2 years ago before I started the butterflies:


I think I really do prefer it at that stage.  In fact, I debated quite a while whether to make the butterflies and decided against my gut feeling to go ahead.  I knew that if I did not make the butterflies, it would always seem incomplete to me.

I rally do like the center before the butterflies are attached and part of me wants to make that again.  There is no way I am cutting off all the butterflies!  The idea of making another center is not really appealing either.

I started making the butterflies in assembly mode.  I had initially hoped to finish them within one year, but ended up putting them down for almost a year - hence the two year time frame to complete the butterflies.  Although it was a bit tedious to make 7 of each round of butterflies, it would have taken me even longer to finish if I made each butterfly individually as a whole (not sure if that makes any sense...).  Yes, I did say 7 - for some inexplicable reason I decided to make a free standing butterfly!


There were actually some advantages to making the individual butterfly.  When making the outer round of the first wing, I realized that it would make more sense to reverse the pattern as written and start from the head instead of ending at the head.  I also realized when making the antennae, that as written, the antennae were "free floating" and the ends were not attached.  On the doily butterflies, I decided to attach the ends of antennae to the butterfly wings.  Towards the end I also realized that all but one of the butterflies were made incorrectly!  The two round motifs on the lower wings should be joined to one another, something I omitted in all but one butterfly.

The final doily would require a good blocking and even then I'm not absolutely convinced it would like flat.  It is ~ 10 inches in diameter made with DMC 80 in ecru.

I have had a few questions about the pattern.  It is an old Workbasket pattern, but I am not sure what issue.  My husband once brought home an old tatting book from the library book sale which contained several patterns cut out from from Workbasket.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing it,Mica. Well done! I agree about the last butterfly bit. Not my favourite but I like the interior. I think it was a tatting challenge and you met it. The reasons don’t matter. Interesting what each individual will be challenged by, and as tatters I believe we all understand the attraction to a particular pattern. : ) Like Everest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely doily, I love butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is wonderful! And I'm willing to bet that it is from the Dec. 1977 Workbasket. I'm delighted that you did an independent butterfly, as I can now see how it is constructed. I would also have done them in an assembly line. I think the butterfly woukd make a lovely motif and would be interesting in different colors. Really a lot of work in each one! I hope you display this beautiful doily and don't hide it away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for finishing, in spite of having lost enthusiasm! It's very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Fox (who agrees with you!) The butterflies are actually really pretty as standalone butterflies, but I can see why you'd like the interior without them - just a simpler shape, I guess. Maybe what you need is a six sided table, which would fit it perfectly.
    A big achievement to finish it though! Another one to tick off your list, and you'll've learnt a lot while you do it too.

    ReplyDelete