Friday, July 5, 2013

Annual Cicada



I am not a big fan of summer mainly because of heat and humidity.  I realize I don't have much choice unless I want to move way up north which is not very realistic.  Therefore I try to make the best of things.  Yes the heat is annoying, but my vegetables seem to like it...

One of the few things I actually like about summer are cicadas.  They are in many respects quite a perfect bug.  They are mighty cute, I like their call and they leave behind cool husks after they molt.  Although periodic cicadas are beyond awesome due to their numbers, annual cicadas are quite cool as well.  A few weeks ago I ordered this green thread for another project (which I have yet to start...) and as I was listening to cicada calls last weekend I realized that the green is kind of similar to the color of the bugs.  Of course I had to make a tatted cicada:)

Unlike my periodic cicada this little guy doesn't look like an overgrown fruit fly!  I could have sworn that I ordered thread in size 20, but it's actually size 40, so my annual cicada is the same size as the periodic cicada.  If I had ordered the larger thread, the little guy would be a bit bigger as he should be.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, Mica, this is good! I CANNOT tat these knots! Good for you - this is super!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little cicada. We don't have them here in Texas, so I can't tell what kind he is, but he sure is a cute little bugger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you don't have cicadas in Texas! I would have thought Texas would be a bug haven and you would have all sorts of bugs that we don't get up in the NE.

      Delete