Thursday, February 13, 2014

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework



The Reader's Digest needlework guide is one of the first general needlework guides I looked at and acquired.  I first came across it at my local library soon after I learned how to tat when I was looking for books with tatting patterns.  Initially I was only interested in the tatting section.  I found the bobbin lace section amusing, but didn't look at anything else.

I finally picked up the book on sale at a big-box craft store.  I think the newer version had come out and the old version was on sale.  I vaguely remember comparing the two versions and not noticing much of a difference, but I could be mistaken since this was a while back.

For a while this book became my go-to book for knitting and crochet.  For knitting I now prefer to use the Vogue Guide to Knitting, but I still use the Reader's Digest guide whenever I pick up a crochet hook.  The book has very clear instructions and starts with the very basics.  In fact, despite looking at a few other books, this is the book I found most helpful when teaching myself to crochet.

Other than crochet, I have looked at it for needle lace as well.

Occasionally I look at other techniques listed in the book.  There is a fair amount of various embroidery techniques as well as quilting and patchwork.  If I ever decide to have a go at these other techniques, this book will for sure be one of the resources I will use.

No comments:

Post a Comment