Monday, December 31, 2012

Large Doily




This little guy jumped off my pillow last night!  I realize this is by no means a large doily at only ~ 5.5 in diameter, but it's the name I gave it when I first made the pattern.  This pattern was the very first pattern I made after learning how to make bobbin lace.  For a long time I only had this pattern and the one in shown in the previous post. That's how I ended up with names "large" and "small".  Not very original, I know!  I had to get a bit more creative with my names as I got more patterns.

These two pattens were both given to me by my teacher and the pricking is quite worn out.  I decided to make a copy of it when I made this pattern.  Unfortunately my scanner decreased the size by a bit.  It's not a big deal, especially since I used thinner thread than I had used in the past.  In fact, even at this size, the thread seems a bit thin.  

As with the previous doily, I had made this one multiple times but have apparently given them all away.  I was a little disappointed to find that I no longer have the very first piece of lace I ever made.  I think if I saw it now, I would be horrified, especially since I gave it away as a gift.  Yikes!

Before I got more patterns I was really sick of making these two doilies over and over again.  For a long time afterwards I did not like the patterns at all.  Now that I have had a nice long break from making them, I am back to thinking they are very pretty.  This one was always my favorite of the two.

I also don't anticipate making this patter again unless I have a request for it, which I really doubt I would ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment