Monday, February 21, 2011

Bobbin lace star


Another bobbin lace made from Geklöppelte Weihnachtssterne using the unknown metallic thread.

This is another little guy I finished earlier this month but didn't get around to scanning until recently...

When I make bobbin lace, I join the two bobbins with knot and then wind the knot back on a bobbin for a bit. For small motifs like this, I try to wind the knot back enough that I will not reach the knot while working the motif. In this particular motif, I totally misjudged the amount of thread required and I ended up reaching every single knot. Not fun. I think it literally took longer to remove the knots and add in new thread than it did to make the rest of the star...

It was still fun to make:)

While preparing the pricking, I realized that at some point the patterns shrank compared to what they are in the book. The copier must settings must have been changed without me realizing it... I think the size I am using actually works better for the thread, so I won't complain. I just wish I knew what it shrank to so I could reproduce it if I had to. I have about half the prickings in the book ready to go, but unfortunately I think the remaining prickings will be larger. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lot of patience you have! It is a pretty star.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! What a wonderful color choice! :)

    ReplyDelete