Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Motif No. 31


Yeah it's a few months late, but it's finally done! This is Day 21 from Bjørn's 24 Snowflakes in Tatting. I think this is the first time I did so many Josephine rings! Normally it seems like when I make Josephine knots you can barely see them. That's probably because I work with fine thread and make large picots around the Josephine rings. This time, there are no picots immediately adjacent to the Josephine rings. Since I worked with metallic thread (huge!), I also had to maintain loose tension resulting in larger loops. Overall I like the effect, but I don't think I am in any rush to make them again.

If you look carefully there are some quite-noticeable mistakes in this little snowflake. In the first clover of the second round, I forgot to attach it to the first round. In a later clover, I made all the rings the same size as the middle (larger) ring. I noticed the mistake as soon as I closed the first ring, but was not about to either undo the ring or cut it out.

An interesting point in this pattern is that it starts with the Josephine ring and then you do a split ring to move from the center to the first round. Climbing from round to round with a split ring is nothing unusual, but I don't think I would have thought to start with a Josephine ring. Again, normally it would have been some tiny barely seen mess made with size 80 thread:)

Made with 1 strand DMC metallic floss.
*I had hoped to finish this in September...

1 comment:

  1. It has a beautiful antique look in the picture! Congratulations on finishing it(no matter how long it took, you finished!). :)

    ReplyDelete