Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A seamstress I am not...

...but I am still ridiculously happy that I managed to get this thing done! This is one quarter of a handkerchief that I hemmed by hand. Initially I had planned on leaving the two sides hemmed as they were and only hemming the two sides where I cut the fabric. Once I started though, I realized that making a rolled hem is a lot easier than I had expected! Therefore I decided to make a rolled hem on all four sides so to make it uniform.

right side

I tried scanning the whole thing, but it looked weird, so all you get is a corner from both sides.

wrong side

This is the first time I have *ever* hemmed anything! When it comes to sewing, I am a complete beginner. Never even did a stitch of sewing in home ec. A few years ago I bought a pair of pants that was just a bit too long. I figured I would shorten them myself. I only got through about 1/4 of the way through one pant leg before I realized that if I actually wanted to wear these pants, I need to take them to a tailor. In a few days, my pants were back, nicely hemmed and I was able to wear them. If I had insisted on hemming them myself, they would probably still be a WIP...

This little piece of cloth is used to cover my sprout jar. I had initially started using 1 handkerchief, but it was huge and I couldn't see the sprouts:) Then I started folding it up into quarters, which was a perfect size. The problem was, that I wanted to wash it before starting a new batch of sprouts. My sprouts batches and laundry don't exactly coincide all that well. Add to the fact that a few times I forgot to throw it in the laundry, and you can see why I often had to wait to wash the handkerchief before starting a new sprouts batch. Last week I decided enough was enough and that it would make a lot more sense to just cut the handkerchief into quarters. Problem solved. At first I had planned on leaving the edges unhemmed and just using the fabric pieces until they unraveled a lot, figuring I would cut up a handkerchief every few months. I was a bit bored one evening and decided to try and hem it. Thanks to some wonderful online tutorials, making a rolled hem was much, much easier than I had expected.

I know it's not pretty, and I have no idea how it will withstand laundry, but it's a start. I don't see myself hemming things by hand anytime in the near future, but at least I know I can make a roll hem if I absolutely have to:) The sprouts cover was a perfect practice piece - only me, my husband and the sprouts have to see it! And now I have 3 more quarters to practice my hemming skills.


2 comments:

  1. Good job! I have sewn since high school (many years) and I also would be likely to leave a pair of pants languishing rather than hem them. It isn't my favorite thing to do. I guess hemming doesn't have the glamor and drama of seams. :)

    Congratulations and may there be more sewing in your future!
    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really had a good laugh at this! I LOATHE sewing, and I am fairly good at it because I have had to be!

    When my kids were small I did not have the bucks for tailors or indeed for anything beyond the very basic necessities, so sewing on buttons and repairing little rips and big ones too, taught me to be a half-decent seamstress - sewing by hand of course, as sewing machines make me break out in angry hives!

    It is a good skill to develop, and an excellent one to have at the oddest times, so I am happy to see you have begun - and it is a great beginning!- your sewing career!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete