After a loooooong hiatus, I decided to make some more kumihimo. This is the honeycomb braid from Jacqui Carey's book Japanese Braiding - the art of kumihimo.
Like the previous kumihimo braids I made, this was also made using my cheapo crochet thread and my homemade cardboard disc. It shows. The tension was difficult to keep even. I'm sure part of it was that I am inexperienced, but I think a large part of it is also my very inadequate equipment. It was still fun to make though!
For some reason, this braid took me a few rounds to figure out. Although the instructions clearly say to pay attention to the position of the hands, I didn't bother doing so. It turns out, you really do have to pay attention to the hand position:)
I'm still undecided about kumihimo. I think I like having the option of making it now and again. I don't every see myself actually using the braids for anything (even if they get better, which they won't without practice... it's a vicious cycle...) All I have to do is look at my lace box though - I hardly ever use any of the lace I make either. Why should kumihimo be any different?
No comments:
Post a Comment