Motif 29 of 2nd round of 25 motif challenge.
I need to come up with a better way of describing these things - my current description is getting to be a bit ridiculous...
This is Day 19 from Bjørn's 24 Snowflakes in Tatting. I like the pattern and the construction is quite interesting. While making it, I figured out another way to do it that would probably work better with metallic thread. The book calls to make the pattern all in one round using quite a few self-closing mock rings. I think it's possible to make it without self-closing mock rings and instead use only split rings. Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but I don't think self-closing mock rings look nice in metallic thread - I cannot pull hard on the core thread when closing the ring. As a result, the ring is more oblong instead of being a nice circle. The self-closing mock rings are also quite a bit floppier than "normal" rings and split rings. Regardless, it's a pretty pattern with an interesting construction.
I can't wait to get that book and try some of those beautiful designs(which I have seen the finished products of many others) as beautiful as yours! :)
ReplyDeleteBlocking can help a bit to reshape the mock rings into the shape you desire, but metallic threads are a bit tricky for tatting. But aren't they lovely! What is the thread you are using?
ReplyDeleteEliz - it's one strand of DMC metallic embroidery floss. I'm sure blocking would help, but I don't block:)
ReplyDelete