Friday, November 27, 2009

Love in a mist - finally!

I finally completed one of my very long-term WIPs.

I started this particular project a looooong time ago - maybe in 2000 or 2001. I made the center rosette and got probably 6 or so flowers of the next round. Then, when I was closing one of the rings the thread snapped. At that time I was still more or less a beginner tatter and I didn't know how to go about adding more thread so it would still look nice. Since the center rosette didn't look too nice, I decided to start from the very beginning. I kind of like the center pattern, so I am holding on to the almost-finished-center. Have no idea if I will ever do anything with it though!


A few years later I picked it up again. The second time around, I made a very beautiful center rosette - all the chains lay right next to each other with no space between them. I also managed not to snap any threads while working the flowers that go around the center. But.... right after I closed the last ring of the last flower, I realized that I omitted a picot. At first I decided to continue and somehow make up for it in a later round (with the mignonette tatting). I continued and finished the center. That missing picot really bothered me and I was afraid that it just would not look right if I somehow tried to add a ring in the next round. And so, I decided that since I really like the pattern, that I might as well start over. Again.


Third time must be the charm, right? I started for the third time soon after I finished the second attempt. I got as far as making the 8 rings for the center rosette and then put it down for a few years. Last spring I picked it up again. The rosette actually didn't turn our as nicely as the one in the second attempt, and I was afraid it would bowl once I made the round of flowers. I decided to go on - I really didn't feel like cutting out the chains and redoing them. I wanted this pattern done and I was afraid that if I did any cutting out/restarting I would end up putting it away for a few more years. Luckily it didn't bowl once the flower round was complete. If it had, I don't know that I would have been able to start for the 4th time! The mignonette tatting went very quickly. I had only dabbled in mignonette once before, and even that was a few years ago. Initially I had planned on doing each round individually, but when I saw how ugly the join was at the beginning of the first round, I decided to use split rings. It looks much nicer that way, and even though I don't really mind working in the ends, it was nice not to have to do it after every round. It made the rounds go by much faster.


I still like the pattern and I think it was worth starting 3 times to finally get it done! I think I might have preferred a more substantial outer border though, although I guess that would defy the whole "mist" purpose. It really is a lovely pattern as is, as are most of Mary Konior's patterns. I'm not sure what to do with it now. It's almost too pretty to put in a box and only pull it out occasionally to look at, but since I have dark furniture, I cannot even put it on an end table to show off. That's actually a problem for me - I like working with black thread, but it automatically renders the item kind of useless! I personally don't like to frame things for display either.

Pattern from "Tatting Patterns" by Mary Konior, made with DMC Special Dentelles no. 80 in black.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

10 comments:

  1. 'Oh my gosh' to quote a wee three year old I met in Cincinnati in August. That's amazing. I'm SO pleased you finished it. Well worth all the trials and tribulations. Reminds me of how many times I work an idea before I'm happy with it!!! Megga huge congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love it! With and without the mignonette stitch around the center motif. I want to do this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perseverance pays off! Your work looks delicate and sexy and very misty. Stunning lace!

    Thanks for sharing this lovely lace work. It is just what I needed after a long day of errands/shopping with a blustery cold front that set my teeth to chattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Not only is it hard to get rosettes just right, mignonette tatting can be very tricky to space, especially when it is going to lay flat like this one. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an outstanding piece! Beautifully Tatted!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely gorgeous! I have yet to try mignonette tatting. I've never been good with patterns that involve thread in between tatted elements so it's on my "do later when I'm better at that sort of thing" list!
    Beautiful work! Thank you, you just may have inspired me to do that sooner rather than later (learn mignonette - that is).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just seen this post for the first time, and can only say - WOW! What a saga, and what perseverance! Also, mignonette tatting takes a special skill - which I certainly haven't mastered, but you obviously have. You MUST find a way to display it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really beautiful. I've done a little bit of mignonette, so I know how fiddly it is. I'm afraid I would go a bit crazy doing it in black (aaaaa, my eyes!).

    You could display this as the center of a white tablecloth.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete