Thursday, April 4, 2013

Flying bird



This is the small project that I referred to in my last post.  It was a quick and fun project to make and I was amazed t how quickly it came off my pillow!  Unlike the last few posts, this is the first time I worked this pattern.

Typically, unless I am making a piece of lace to give away as a gift,I make lace for the sake of making lace.  This was one of the few exceptions in that I actually had a reason to make it.  We have a little hook on the bannister of our stair case that just begs out for an ornament.  The first few years in the house, we usually hung a small glass ball ornament for the winter holidays.  Last fall I remembered the little ghosts that my mom used to make when we were kids.  It's a simple ghost made of a kleenex and a cotton ball.  I hung up the little ghost sometime in October.


Although it took some time to get used to a ghost hanging from the ceiling over the staircase, we got so used to it that we did  not want to take it down.  The Halloween ghost turned to a thanksgiving ghost, then a winter holiday ghost, then a Valentine's day ghost...  After a few months I decided that I don't want to keep a ghost hanging around year round and I was trying to decide what to do about it.  Not too long ago I was looking through my prickings and came across this pattern.  I decided that a bird would be perfect for the rest of the year until I can make another ghost next fall.


Much better!  And slightly more season-appropriate...  I also like the fact that there is still something that moves when I go up the stairs.  This is also one of the very few pieces of lace visible in our house.

The bird measures ~ 15 cm across.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Fun to have at least one piece - with a purpose - in your place...
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful bird! I really want to get my pillow and bobbins out, but it will have to wait until school is out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I see your post with a bobbin lace item....I wish you lived closer to me :). Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's lovely! And so nice to make something you can use and other people will be able to admire. And the perfect shaped piece to be hanging around :)

    ReplyDelete