Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bobbin Lace star




I really don't know how I counted the stars I posted previously.  I think I number them in order of posting - I will switch to numbering them as they are numbered in the book.

This little star was completed earlier this weekend and is star No. VIII in Gekloeppelte Wihnachtssterne by Carla Mueller-Sauer.  (I just now realized that I don't know where the additional characters are in my new operating system...).

Every time I make one of these stars, I realize how much fun they are to make!  I'm sure they would be better if I didn't wait a year between each star.  The thread I am using is a bit finicky and I tend to forget how to handle it from year to year.  There are also other small details I forget such as the best way to start/finish the piece.

Towards the end of the star, one of the threads snapped.  Luckily it snapped down far enough so I was able to knot the bobbin in place and not have to worry about actually replacing the thread.  I have a suspicion that if I had to properly replace the thread, it would have taken a few weeks to finish it...

Made with a mystery metallic thread, the star is ~ 3.5 inches in diameter.

1 comment: