Another metallic bobbin lace star that I completed this past weekend. This is star No. IX in Gekloeppelte Weihnachtssterne by Carla Mueller-Sauer.
Unlike the previous stars that I have made form this book, I ended up making several modifications in this one. This may be hard to describe, but I will try. If you take a look at the star, there are three stars within the star - one in the very center, one in the "middle row" if you will, and one along the outer edge. According to the patter, the star in "middle row" should be a Venetian plait (I think that's what it's called - the book is in German...), which I decided no to make. It calls for a thicker center thread and since I am working with this metallic thread, I did not want to find some thicker metallic thread that would match. The alternate version in the book calls for petals, which I had initially planned on making. Once I got to the first "petal", I saw that they would be very long petals and I opted for plaits instead. Even though much simpler than either variation in the book, I think substituting plaits for the "middle" star is effective. I really think that in order to substitute with petals, I would have to shrink the patterns down even further or use thicker thread since I am not a fan of long (and thin) petals. Or maybe this is all a very involved way to say that I didn't want to make petals:)
Made with a mystery metallic thread, the star is ~ 3.25 inches point to point.
No comments:
Post a Comment