Friday, January 13, 2012

Black Magic


I finally made the ever popular black magic!

A few years ago I became obsessed with book marks. I have no idea why since I don't often use them. Actually, I never use proper bookmarks, a magazine subscription card or a piece of junk mail is my choice of book mark. My excuse is that it this way I won't worry about forgetting a bookmark inside a book when I return it to the library. As for my professional books, I always have several pages bookmarked, so magazine subscription cards are just more practical.

Anyways, as I mentioned, I became obsessed with making tatted bookmarks. I vaguely recall seeing a blog post showing a picture of several very colorful bookmarks. Keep in mind, that at that time I pretty much exclusively worked in ecru thread. Black and white were adventurous colors! It wasn't quite that bad, but I'm not exaggerating by much. All this to say that I think the colors drew me in!

At that time I started several bookmarks, most of which are still WIPs (or more accurately UFOs). I did finish a few of the bookmarks, but my black magic bookmark remained unfinished. Earlier this fall I dug it up again to finish it. I was about half way through it so it really was not too hard to get it done.

Although I have not made many of her patterns, I really like Mary Konior's patterns. They have an interesting construction and are quite unique in appearance. I have always admired black magic and it was fun making it. I did keep losing count of how many picots should be on each chain though. Don't look at my scan too closely! It would probably be easier to keep track of the picots if I worked the pattern for more than 1 chain and 1 ring at a time! I was getting impatient to finish so I cut the bookmark a bit short. In retrospect, I should have added an extra repeat.

There are still a few book marks I need to complete, then I will probably do my own colorful pile of bookmarks:)

Made with DMC special dentelles 80 in black and light blue.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you did this in size 80! But after tatting that magnificent doily in 100, this is 'big thread' for you! LOL! I also think the number of repeats is just fine.

    I also don't want to 'lose' tatted bookmarks in my books. I only have a few, but I like to protect them in plastic sleeves, as I don't want bookprint getting on them, not that it's much of a problem these days!

    Black Magic and Maids of Honour are two of Mary's most distinctive patterns! I like the combination of threads that you used! Very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting in the two colours, with the darker edging!. Came out very well.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete