Sunday, December 18, 2011

Crochet experiments

I don't really know how to crochet. I never felt like I needed to learn since my mom crochets so well. Every few years I get the urge to pull out my crochet hooks though. Unfortunately since I literally pull them out every few years, I have to reteach myself the basics each time...

Early this summer I pulled out my crochet hooks, a ball of cheap crochet thread in size 10 (and I really have no clue why I even bought this thread...) and the handy Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework.

The motif shown below (eyelet square) was the first thing I made. At one point I lost track of the rounds...


As soon as the first square was completed I moved on to the next one - Hawaiian square. With this one I lot track of the stitches going from one round to the next. As I was making each round I thought I would catch up, but somehow I never did.


I haven't touched crochet since then, however each time I pick up the hooks, I feel more comfortable crocheting. I would definitely want to move to finer thread though. This size 10 seems huge!

Actually the above paragraph is not 100% accurate. I picked up crochet again early this month to make a Christmas gift. It was very much different from what I had shown above. That project will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment