I really, really, really don't need a new hobby, but I couldn't resist trying to make a temari. I have seen temari mentioned here and there before, and although it seemed intriguing, it wasn't until I saw Jane's blog that I was inspired to try and make one.
Initially I wanted to make one based on what I could find online, which didn't get me very far. I managed to prepare my ball and even mark the divisions, but that's when I got stuck. I couldn't find a good guide on how to actually begin the embroidery.
At that point I checked out our local library and was quite happy to see that they had several temari books in the system. Once the books arrived, my temari sat unattended while I figured out what to do. I had initially split the temari in C8 divisions, which was a bit much for a beginner. I ended up taking out some of the markings and leaving it a simple 8 division and even then, I only did my first pattern on a simple 4 division. (The terminology may be wrong, I don't have any of the books in front of me).
Despite how wonky the embroidery is and that the base is really not all that round, I am quite pleased with my first temari. It was fun to make and it has a pleasing heft to it. It's hard to put it down when I pick it up. In fact, as soon as it was done, my husband and I played a quick game of catch with it:)
I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the thread though. Pink is really not my color. Pink and white is really, really not any color combination I normally go for. It's just too ... pink. And too pastel and too light and ... Also, ignore the black markings. Again, it's obvious that I prepared the markings without having a clear idea of what I would do afterwards. I don't recommend doing it that way!
I have had a kit to make a temari for over a year, but I'm to intiminated by it. Any tips for me?
ReplyDeleteBonnie - go for it! If you don't like the way it looks, you can always make a second one:) I found the embroidery more straightforward than I thought it would be. It's not pretty though...
ReplyDelete