Sunday, February 28, 2010

Teneriffe mat


I finished this mat yesterday morning. It consists of 7 medallions like this one sewn together. When I first started I wondered if I would be able to make 7 identical medallions without getting bored, but since I took it nice and slow it wasn't bad at all. I think I averaged ~ 2 per month.

Repeating the same medallion also allowed to me figure out the best way of making this lace (mainly spreading the spokes) to achieve the best tension. Initially I used a thick cork pad which did not work out at all. There was absolutely no give to the pins at all, and by the time I got to the outer round of knotting I could not even knot the threads together properly. Then I tried my needle lace pillow, which had too much give and resulted in a very sloppy looking medallion. I finally settled on using a plastic disc (a yogurt lid...) which seemed to work the best. It wasn't quite as convenient, but I think the final results are worth it.

Yesterday morning I decided that I would complete the mat and sew the medallions together. I probably should have thought that one through a bit more... I am an absolute klutz with a needle! Although the book provides directions on how to sew the medallions, they are all written out with no diagram. When the author says "oversew the stitches" I am pretty much clueless as to what that means... I kind of fudged my way through it and it shows.

I am a bit lost as to what to do now. I don't want to start anything big - not like I have any patterns. I think I will just go through various techniques that I want to learn and make little individual medallions. At one point though, I want to go back to learning how to sew them together in such a way to end up with a nice finished product.

I will also definitely move on to smaller thread. All these medallions were made with DMC 20 and I was getting a bit sick of it by the end.

Final size: ~ 6 in. diameter

Here is a scan of the individual medallions before they were sewn together. The problems I had with tensioning is quite obvious!

3 comments:

  1. Well, look at you! Making all these different laces! Very nice! I came across my teneriffe stuff a few weeks ago and told myself I should play with it again. I have a few of the templates that I bought at some lace day and one that was given to me. Tension does seem to be the hardest thing...and finishing off so that it doesn't come apart, at least for me! Your mat looks lovely. Another treasured lace to pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how you did this! It looks so complicated! But, it is very pretty!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Your mat is beautiful! I have a few templates but never tried using them. Your work is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete