Thursday, January 14, 2010

Double split ring chain


Over the holidays I played with Teri's double split ring chain. It was a blast! It took about 3 tries to figure it out. The first time I went strictly by the pictures and missed a crucial part in making the first ring of the second chain. (Does that make sense?!?) The second time, after reading the text and looking at the photos, I got the first ring OK, but when it came time to do the second split ring, I went back to just looking at pictures and messed up. You would think I would have learned! I finally started again, and managed to get the split rings interlaced with the first split ring chain. It was a bit fiddly to make, but I think it looks amazing. I am not sure when I will ever use it, but at least I know how to make it:) It's one of those things though (like split chains), that I'm afraid that when I look at it in a few months, I will have no idea how to make it. That's OK though.

Seriously though, as I mentioned, the design is a bit fiddly. It does require the second chain of split rings to be finger-tatted. I am not really used to finger tatting so that was a bit frustrating. I also did the sample with a short length of thread - I cannot imagine finger tatting with a long strand of thread. I'm sure it's find once you're used to it! I decided to try this with some huge size 10 thread. I can't wait to try it with smaller thread.

1 comment: