I've joined the club - it seems like I'm the last person to make Konior's "Spinning Wheel"! I had admired the pattern ever since I bought the book (quite a few years ago now). Then when I started seeing all the beautiful spinning wheels pop up on other's blogs, I remembered that it was on my list of things to do. I finally decided to make it using one of the first batches of my HDT. It was supposed to be a solid lilac color, but it didn't quite turn out that way! I actually like the mottled variations, although the almost-white is a bit jarring. I don't think I could repeat the effect though, now that I more of an idea of what I am doing. Oh well.
I really like the finished pattern, but making it was not quite so much fun. It is easy to make a mistake and I had to cut out a repeat at one point. It's just mindless enough that my thoughts start to wander, but not so mindless that I can afford to do so.
I forgot to scan with a gauge (again!) - the motif was made with hand-dyed DMC special dentelles 80 and is just over 3" in diameter.
You're one up on me! I have yet to make the glass mat, and I've had the book for years! In fact, I wasn't really inspired to make it until Diane starting showing it (them!!!) on her blog. The HDT colors really bring them to life!
ReplyDeleteI believe Mary Konior was the first to show tatting diagrams in color, differentiating rings from chains and making it easier to 'see' how the pattern is made. This was a major step forward in pattern writing.
Apparently the number 4 is the knot count throughout. The trick is to be alert as to which 'row' you're on, and whether you're doing three rings or six. You obviously figured it out, and I'm impressed you used your own size 80 thread. Very pretty and well done!
I applaud you. I tried the glass mat in size 80 and it gave me fits!!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDelete