It seems like I've been slacking with my bobbin lace since I haven't posted anything in a looong time. I've been kind of busy working on this little guy. I say kind of, because I was never crazy about the pattern and that sometimes made it harder to sit down at my pillow and work on it.
This is pattern no. 2 from Introduction to Honiton Lace by Susanne Thompson. I should start scanning these things with some sort of gauge for size. The little guy is just over 2 in wide at it's widest point. As I said, I was not crazy about the pattern and for a while even considered skipping it. However, since it introduces several new elements, I decided to go ahead and do it anyways. Now that it's done, I like it more than I thought I would, but definitely don't see myself doing it again. If nothing else, I learned that purl edges are fun to make!
Working with the tiny honiton thread is becoming much easier. That's good, considering I'm still using thick thread by honiton standards! Sewings are getting much easier to do as well - without a crochet hook that is. Now I am almost as quick with doing sewings with a pin as I am with a crochet hook. Still can't get the hang of using a needle pin for some reason.
I know the overall execution is kind of wonky. The four- and five-pin buds need some help. I lost my threads in one of the half stitch areas as well - don't know what was up with that! The fillings were actually easier to do than I had expected - not that they are good by any stretch of the imagination! The scan doesn't show it too well, but the four-pin filling is quite loose. I think I was so preoccupied with the forest of pins that I forgot about tension. Well that, and I am still afraid to tug too much. The pairs from the fillings are all supposed to sewn in using top sewings. Although I was initially apprehensive about them, it turns out they they are often easier, especially when you start running out of space. I didn't use any top sewings in the first filling I did (four-pin), but by the time I got to the two areas of trolley net, I tried them and realized they are easy. I had done top sewings before using a crochet hook but was scaredto try them with a pin. Most of the pairs in the two trolley net areas are sewn in using top sewings. And as I said, purl edges are fun to make. So much so, that I made 1 purl edge when I shouldn't have. Oops. I realized it a few pins after I did it and decided not to retro lace.
Now it's on to the next pattern! As soon as I prepare the pricking...
Hope everyone is staying warm! We got more snow than they called for, but luckily didn't get the ice they were calling for. I also forgot about the "joy" of having to shovel out the driveway before I can park. I'm a bit stiff today...
What a beautiful lace motif! So pretty and ornate.
ReplyDelete