Friday, October 30, 2009

Motif No. 20



Only 5 more motifs to go! I might have a hard time getting to 25, since I am out of Kreinik thread. That's neither here nor there though.

Motif No. 20 is Day 10 from 24 Snowflakes in Tatting worked with DMC metallic thread. I liked the pattern (much, much nicer than the previous one), but hated the thread. Such a shame too, since the color is lovely. I'd like to think that I have quite a bit of experience working with metallic thread by now, which is why I will have to blame the thread and not me. This thread was by far the most difficult metallic I have worked with so far. It kept splitting and tearing. I couldn't even get past a few rings without the thread snapping. In fact, after several starts, I had to to abandon making rings and do the whole pattern with chains and mock rings. That's why it looks bit odd (at least to me it does). I was not expecting such a hard time working with this thread, since splitting the skein was easy. It might be a coincidence, but I've noticed that the skeins that tend to be more difficult to split are harder to work with. That was not the case this time.

I'm looking forward to Halloween tomorrow. We are going to a party and I will be dressing up for the first time since 9th grade! We went to the same party last year, without dressing up. We weren't the only ones not in costume and we weren't made to feel unwelcome since we didn't dress up, but it should be more fun this year.

2 comments:

  1. Mica,
    Your tatting is wondrous!

    I stumbled onto your blog today - love the name as I am from Ontario - which I had never seen bafore and have ambled through your pictures of the motifs you have done.

    WOW! Such gorgeous tatting! A real visual feast!

    Love the onion skins - I have yet to do these, but you have inspired me.

    Happy Hallowe'en!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mica! THanks for your very nice comment on my blog today! I like how you said you "Honor" All Saint's Day, rather than celebrate it! That is nice. Although, celebration is all relative and can be done quietly in the heart, too!

    Your snowflake is pretty! You are really good with metallic thread!

    ReplyDelete