This is the second motif I wanted to get done in June, but I actually finished it early July. The little guy is "Little Ring Snowflake" from Tatted Snowflakes. It is tatted with Kreinik No. 4 braid.
If I recall, the name of the color is "pewter". I like pewter and really thought that I would get a pretty pewter colored thread. I can only find the very basic Kreinik braid colors locally and have to order most of the online. When I saw the thread I was very very disappointed. It is not at all pewter! The best way to describe it would be "silver and black polka dots". Pretty much anything but pewter. So disappointing! It really looks like it's just a silver metallic filament with black core threads. Because of the huge difference in color of the metallic filament and the core thread, it was hard to work with. (Normally I am used to the core threads and the metallic filament to be at least the same color, if not the same shade!) I pretty much gave up trying to count the stitches if I lost count. Working in the ends was also difficult.
True to form, I made a mistake at the very beginning of the last (third) round. Since I had wound the shuttles continuous thread, I didn't want to cut out the beginning and start again. The only good thing about this color, is that it hides the mistakes even better than most other metallics:) I have a hard time finding it and I know it's there - and believe me, it's not a tiny mistake either! (Although there are a few of those as well...)
The finished product is quite nice (color wise), but I'm still not sure I would describe it as pewter. However, since this thread was so hard to work with, I don't think I would ever recommend using it. It sure is sparkly though:)
You do a pretty good job with metallic threads!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to let you know that I'm having a giveaway! Be sure to come on over and join in!