I really don't remember when I started this sampler. Part of me thinks I started it last summer, but part of me thinks I started it in order to procrastinate studying for a professional exam, which would put the start at two summers ago.
Knotted lace is something I keep meaning to go back to, but I realize that I need a lot of practice to get the tension more even. Rather than start another round sampler, I wanted to just practice stitches to get a hang of the tension.
Previously I had tried to start the knotting on a crochet chain. This time, I just cut off a piece of thread and started knotting. As I worked, I realized my tendency is to work smaller and smaller basic loops. Good to know. I also realized that the biggest change of tension occurs when I try to switch from one stitch to another. More practice...
I had meant to continue by adding a few rows of raised stitches, however the basic loops I made were so tiny, that it was hard to work a raised stitch into them. I ended up cutting off the rows I started with he raised stitches and considered the sampler done.
Earlier this year (Feb. or Mar.), I started another sampler - this time a round one. I recall when working on the smaller motifs a few years ago, I had a hard time starting a round piece so I wanted to practice that.
Similarly to the first sampler, I have a hard time keeping even tension transitioning between stitches. I also have to be really mindful of not making my stitches smaller and smaller. If I end up working this lace on a regular basis, I will have to determine what my "natural" tension is and just go with that. If I go with basic loops much smaller than what I have here, I am not sure I will be able to make picots. It may help to move to smaller thread - both of these were done with Lizbeth 20.
I think I want to finish this sampler soon, but have not decided on an edging yet. I may end up going with a few more stitches - I'll play it by ear.




very lovely work and so carefully done :)
ReplyDeleteI am very impressed with your knotted lace. That skill sure eluded me! 😊
ReplyDelete