This is the bobbin lace WIP that I mentioned earlier this year and late last year. It is the project I refer to as my "Baroque Collar".*
I started this soon after I completed the garter for my friend's wedding. Before I started making this, I would have laughed at you if you had told me I would make myself a lace collar. When I was a kid, my grandmothers made a few white lace collars for me. I think they were either crochet or knit and I *hated* wearing them. I was very happy when I was old enough to protest wearing them. Fast forward to about two years ago, when I was perusing haute couture collections. It's not something I typically do and I don't remember why I started. Several designers' winter collections with heavy gold trims caught my eyes. One was Chanel, but there were others. I could not get the concept of a gold collar off my mind and I started looking through my patterns to see what I had. Since I never anticipated making a collar, I have very few collar patterns in my stash. This may be the only one - it's the only Idrija one for sure. It wasn't quite what I wanted, but I have neither the skill nor a similar enough pattern to redraw it as I wanted. It turned out to be my "stylized baroque collar".*
The collar is made with DMC metallic embroidery thread. Just before I was almost done winding the bobbins, I commented to my husband that maybe I should have tried working a small piece with this thread first before I commit it to such a large project. Good thing I didn't! It wasn't the easiest thread to work with and if I had tried working with it first, I am not sure I would have ever started this piece.
One of the biggest fears I had while working this is that the thread would snap while tensioning the braid. I suspected that it would snap right near the work and it would result it substantial amount of retro-lacing to get a piece of thread long enough to add a new bobbin. I was therefore super-duper careful while working. There were a few times where I was tempted to push forward, but I knew I was either tired or not in the right frame of mind and made myself stop. I am happy to report that there were no snapped threads in this piece! The fear of a snapped thread is also why it took me so long to finish. The closer I got to the end, the more trepidation I had when I sat down at my pillow. A few times this actually kept me from working.
For some reason I did not wind the bobbins continuous method. I was almost done winding them when I realized I could have done so. In a way I'm glad I didn't, since it forced me to add thread so I at least got over that hump quickly. This collar took more thread than I anticipated resulting in a few unanticipated runs to Jo Ann Fabrics... If I had not been forced to swap out the knots from pairing up bobbins, I probably would have put off working on the lace when I encountered my first empty bobbin.
As you can see, the collar is still unattached to anything (hence the photo in the grass). The garment I initially wanted to attach it to does not quite have the correct neckline. I have an alternate in mind, but have not tried it yet. If this fails as well, I can see myself going to a department store with a tape measure looking for the correct garment... I probably should have considered that before starting the project, but that would be no fun!
Overall I am happy with this collar. Putting up with the thread was worth it - the collar is really sparkly! I can't wait to attach it to something so I can wear it. Probably not until the holidays, but it will give me something to look forward to.
* I realize this is not at all correct lace for the baroque period. I am still calling it my baroque collar, so please no comments to that regard.

Fit for a queen this is beautiful πππ
ReplyDeleteWow, it's absolutely gorgeous! I hope you will find the right garment to attach it to and wear it. So sumptuous.
ReplyDeleteI Love your collar !!! And so nicely laced.
ReplyDelete