This year I decided to go to the OIDFA congress that was held in Ljubljana Slovenia. I attended the congress as well as a pre-congress course. The course I decided to take was Pag lace. Granted by the time I signed up, some of the others that I had been eyeing were already closed so the decision was kind of made up for me! The congress and the class were a lot of fun and I have no regrets about my decision to attend. I wish I could have attended the post-congress tour, but I was already pushing the time I was able to take off from work.
This was the first workshop I attended so I have nothing to compare it to. I do think parts of it were disorganized, but overall I think it was good and I learned a lot. This is the medallion that we made in class. There were a few different variations we all worked on, but most of us followed this general pattern. One thing that I will say, is that while in this workshop, I realized that I had done a good job teaching myself needle lace from the internet! Granted there are some minor differences in how needle laces are worked, but the basics are the same (or at least very similar). I was wondering how I would do since my needle lace is entirely self-taught, but it ended up being all right.
There are obviously many mistakes in this little medallion. For starters, the center should consist of triangles and not look like a flower. Since I am definitely partial to flowers, I don't mind my variation! I will also admit that towards the end I was hurrying to finish so that I could start my next piece on the last day of class. I am now trying to make Pag lace on a regular basis so that I don't forget everything I learned in class. That would be a shame! I have a suspicion that from here on out, all my reticella lace will be made Pag-style...
Wow! I am SO impressed! You are a courageous woman! I tried the Armenian lace and found it impossibly challenging, and it's an easy lace to lean. Your lace is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLike me, you learn via the nternet. I know how it can be frustrating, and yet so rewarding. We are fortunate to be able to have access to a world of learning online.
So, I came here to thank you for your comment - funny- on tat-ology, but when I saw what you are up to, I had to respond!
Fox : )
How interesting to take such a tour! Well done to you. Good to know that your self-teaching was so successful. I taught myself tatting and know that I hold the thread wrong, just for starters. I like your medallion.
ReplyDeleteWonderful medallion!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow! 1) I didn't know there was such a thing as OIDFA, or a congress - but i guess there would be! 2) I've never heard of pag lace, but I really like yours 3) well done! Having taught myself to tat (and do that tiny bit of needle lace way back when) I know how hard it is to learn things via YouTube... or not hard exactly, but there's something nice about seeing people do things in real life and finding out you're not so different after all. I love this - more please!
ReplyDelete/OC
I had to run over to the internet to find out what Pag lace is and where Pag Island is! The more I know, the more I realize I don't know! It's a big world out there! That sounds like quite a trip! I can't believe how many laces are made with just thread and a needle. Who ever figured these things out! Beautiful designs! And your medallion looks great!
ReplyDeleteanche io volevo andare a Pag ad imparare, ma non ho visto il volantino . Il pizzo di Pag è meraviglioso
ReplyDelete