Sunday, July 3, 2016

Duck feet



At the end of May I posted this as an eye-watering neon little knitting WIP.  The little piece is now complete in the form of duck feet socks for my little niece!

I initially wanted to make the Duck Feet pattern found on Knitty.  The techniques required in that pattern are a bit beyond my ability though.  If I had given myself more time, I probably could have figured it out, but I didn't want this to be an exercise in frustration!  I ended up going with a combination of two patterns I found on Ravelry.  The bulk of the socks were made following Debra Ashkar's pattern.  I could not for the life of me figure out what to do after completing the short rows though.  I am not sure if I just could not read the pattern properly or if something was missing.  In order to get back on track, I used the instructions from Elaine Anderson's pattern to finish the heel.  I then went back to Debra's pattern to finish the socks.  They turned out adorable! (although I may be biased!)  Part of me wishes I had given myself more time to finish them, but I was happy with the way they turned out for the most part.  My sister in law likes them and I am sure they will be adorable on my little niece.  They are a little big on her now, but she should grow into them right as it starts to cool off in the fall.

Made with Caron Simply Soft in neon orange.  This blog probably makes it sound like I have an affinity for horrible yarn, but from what I've gathered from my friends, ease of care trumps everything when it comes to baby items.

Now that I have a little niece, I will have to see what things I will make for her.  I am not a fan of sweet frilly things, so I hope she ends up more of a tom-boy!  I would much rather make a monster hat than something ultra girly.  I already have ideas for the next two Christmases - not too girly and perfect for little babies.


2 comments: