Friday, January 15, 2016

WIP No. 1





Finally some lace content!  This is also an attempt to start posting WIPs on a more regular basis.  Maybe it will motivate me to work on them!

This is a doily by Jan Stawasz.  It is actually one of the most recent projects I started - maybe 3 years ago.  I am now quite close to finishing it.  This is a good WIP to post since even though my scanner situation is not yet sorted out, the piece is too large to fit on the bed of my scanner, so I have to take a photo!

I have posted before how I have an embarrassing amount of WIPs on my shuttles.  For the last year or so, I've tried to make some progress in getting through them.  There are obviously three approaches to take:
  1. not start any new projects
  2. finish the projects I have
  3. decide to toss the projects I no longer like
I have been doing fairly well with No. 1.  In the last year or so, I don't think I have started any large project.  It's a start!  

My problem is No. 2.  I learned a while back that it is counter productive for me to have many WIPs out.  I have an easier time working through them if I choose 3 - 4 "active WIPs" and rotate amongst those.  The problem I ran into in the past though, is that I would set unrealistic goals on how long it would take me to finish them.  I would fall behind on one goal, two goals, and then decide it was not worth pursuing any of them!  I am  now trying something new - I only  have four active WIPs in my current rotation.  My only goal is to work on each WIP at least once a month.  No goals as to how much I would like to make each month, as long as I pick it up and do something.  I've only been doing that for a few months now, but so far so good.  The beauty of 3 - 4 active WIPs is that what ends up happening is that I pick up one WIP per weekend.  It's slow going, but at least I am moving along.

I am keeping an open mind for option 3, but there is a reason I started all my WIPs!  So far, I have not come across any WIP that I don't want to continue.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - it's really big! Gosh, if all your projects are that big and you don't post WIPs, no wonder you didn't feel like you have anything to write about :) So nice to see it in progress.
    I've yet to tackle a proper big tatting project, mainly, I think, because I have no idea what I'd do with it when I was done. That said, I did think about (and am still considering) an edging that I could put around a scarf. I liked the idea of something dependable as a go to project for the train!
    Having got so far with this though, it would be such a shame for you not to finish it. Hang in there - and show us your others!

    ReplyDelete