At the start of winter, I realized I was tired of wearing sweatshirts at home and decided that cardigans and sweaters look more put together. I actually prefer cardigans so that I don't have to pull them over my head. The problem was that I had plenty of nice cardigans to wear at work that I did not want to wear at home. Rather than buy a cardigan I thought it would be more fun to make one.
I wanted a simple cardigan (beginner knitter after all!) that can be made with heavy yarn since we prefer to keep our house on the cooler side. There were many possible patterns on Ravelry, but I decided to go with
this one by Lion Brand for two main reasons. One, the pattern is free so that if it did not work out I would not be upset, and second, the yarn used in the patterns is easily available. I have since successfully made a substitution, but that
project was actually started after this one.
The choice of color being the same as the one in the pattern photo is a complete coincidence. That shade of brown is my favorite color, so really, making the cardigan in that color was a complete no brainer!
This is actually the first cardigan I have completed and so far the largest completed project and I like it! The patterns was easy to follow and clearly written. I don't have my notes with me, but I think I hit gauge with the called for needles. Although I did not mind seaming the vest, it was nice not to have to seam this one! The only thing I would do differently next time is make the sleeves longer. There is really no excuse for the sleeves being too short, especially since they were also knit from the top down, except that by the end I was getting impatient and wanted to wear it. The forecast was calling for the first real cold spell of the season! Although for just lounging, I do prefer longer sleeves, the truth is that when I am actually doing something, I tend to push them up anyways. The shorter sleeve actually works well. To be clear - they are not ridiculously short - another 1 inch would have been better, but they are by no means 3/4 or anything like that. Since I don't have much time to lounge around, the convenience of shorter sleeves is actually convenient. I am very happy that the cardigan is not nearly as boxy as it appears on the model. It is not fitted in any way, but despite the thick yarn, it looks OK. I would definitely recommend going by the final measurements to prevent having a huge boxy cardigan.
The worst part of the cardigan was sewing on the buttons! They are a bit wonky which is obvious when I wear it. I
always leave the top and bottom buttons undone. Unfortunately the second from the top and second from the bottom buttons are the most mis-aligned so they tend to come undone. If I button all the buttons, they stay put, but that's not how I wear it. I suspect buttons a fraction bigger would also be better. These may be a fraction too small. I swore not to make another project with buttons any time soon. The only reason I persevered with sewing on the buttons is that I actually wanted to wear it soon. Otherwise I suspect this would still be a WIP missing buttons only.
I used Wool-Ease Chunky as called for in the pattern. The good - I love the color! The final product is ridiculously warm (almost too warm!) and not itchy. I supposedly can wash in a washing machine (but haven't tried it yet). The bad - no natural fibers were harmed in the making of the yarn. I guess for a cardigan to wear at home, ease of care wins out, but as a rule, I much prefer natural fibers to synthetics. I will see how this wears. Although it did not take a lot of time or effort to make, I do hope it does not start to pill too much.
If it wasn't for the buttons, I could see myself making a second one in black. I would probably look for a different yarn though. However since this thing has 8 (8!) buttons, I don't see myself rushing to repeat it.
I liked making the cardigan and I like wearing it. I have actually bought yarn to start my next for-home cardigan, but have not cast on yet. I need to either cast on soon, or just accept the fact that I will not start until next October:)
No comments:
Post a Comment