This is 8th Day from 24 Snowflakes in Tatting. I didn't think much of the pattern, but now that it's done, I think it's very pretty. This is also only the second time I've ever done block tatting! I tried making one block a few years ago. I was a bit apprehensive essentially learning a new technique with metallic thread, but it was really easy.
The thread (1 strand of DMC metallic floss) was a huge pain in the neck to work with! I don't know what it is about these purple/pink colors. The purple thread was also difficult to use. It kept breaking - I had to start 3 times just to get the first center ring made! There is quite a large obvious "oops" in the snowflake, but since the thread was so difficult to work with, I couldn't bring myself to either cut it out or start from scratch. As I keep saying, metallic threads hide a lot!
As I mentioned, I really like the pattern. It looks much, much better than the photo in the book. I really wasn't expecting to like it and was very pleasantly surprised that I did! It seems like that often happens - the patterns I have high hopes for disappoint and the ones I am lukewarm about end up being really pretty.
Fall is coming! Yes, it's still hot during the day (or what passes for hot here...), but there is a certain crispness to the air in the afternoons that you don't get in the summer. The quality of light is also changing, the days are getting shorter and the leaflets on our walnut are starting to drop! Not very many, but there were a few little yellow leaflets in the backyard today:) Most of the tree is still very much green though. Summer is not quite over yet! (It's a good thing too, my veggies aren't done yet!)
Oh this is a very nice piece!
ReplyDeleteYou did another very nice job!
ReplyDelete