Sunday, December 18, 2016

Lucky ... dime?


Lucky dime - front 

Yeay, finally a post!  For the last few weeks/months I have been spending my very limited time making lace rather than writing or reading about it.  I have been very much slacking on reading blogs too, unfortunately.

One thing I did notice the few times I glanced at other blogs were Diane's ice drops.  They look so pretty and quick to make that I was itching to try them.  Yesterday, I finally had some time to dig through my stash to see if I have everything I need.

My stash of size 20 thread is very limited - the only thread I could find was this not-at-all wintry color, but it was a good start.  I also found some glass disks I bought quite a while back.

I quickly ran into a problem though.  I am a tight tatter and my disks are larger than what Diane uses. There was absolutely no way I would have been able to fit the disk into my little ice drop.  No problem, I thought, I will use a penny and make a lucky penny.  I definitely tat tightly since there was no way I could even squeeze a penny in there.  OK, the next smaller thing I could think of was a dime.  It was a very tight squeeze, but I did manage to get it in there.

lucky dime on top of the glass disk - way too large!

Afterwards I measured my glass disk and saw that it is just over 1 inch in diameter.  I will have to either find smaller glass disks or use larger thread (and adjust stitch count).

 lucky dime - back

All in all it was a nice diversion. Thank you Diane for the inspiration!


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post about your experiments, and the difference that tension makes. The dime fits in there perfectly. The thread looks like one that I have - Mountain Breeze (Color 134) - and I haven't used it for anything, but I like seeing it here. I'm hoping to tat this pattern soon!

    ReplyDelete