I finished the mitts I was working on a few weeks ago. I wasn't too sure about them so I'm glad I had a chance to wear them for a few weeks before posting about them.
I followed a simple
Ravelry pattern to make them. The only real problem I have with them is that they ended up being very long! I guess my row gauge was way different from what the pattern used (I don't think the pattern mentions a row gauge). Regardless, it's on me since I should have known they would end up long as I was making them... I really need to start rusting myself and not blindly follow a pattern. They are a bit big overall too, but that doesn't bother me as much as the length. It gives me plenty of room to ball up my hands into fists and slip them into the mitt on cold mornings. When I first noticed they were so long I told myself at least they will keep my wrists warm. Practically speaking it's not really the case since they slide down and bunch around my wrist.
All in all they serve their purpose - they are great for in between weather when I no longer need winter gloves or mittens but appreciate something in the morning when I grip my cold steering wheel.
I am also not sure how one ended up longer than the other. I may have either consciously kept my gauge *really* loose in the second one, or I miscounted the rows. It's not as noticeable on the hands as it is in the photos so I haven't bothered to investigate yet.
I think I would recommend this pattern for a first-time or an easy pair of mitts. Not sure I will use it again, since there are so many different patterns to chose from!
These were made with Lion Brand Amazing in the color Cobblestone. I love the color - even though the two mitts ended up not really matching. I use it as a way to tell the right from the left until they mold to my hands. I can't tell yet how the yarn will wear, but it was fun to work with. I think it would be better to use a much smaller knitting needle though to give a firmer fabric. I suspect the yarn is warm, but since the mitts were made with a larger knitting needle the fabric is not very dense. Again, perfect for in between season mitts, but not something I would like in a warm sweater.
No comments:
Post a Comment