Last year I made a
cardigan with a zipper. The first zipper I chose was way too long and I replaced it before I actually started to wear the cardigan. The zipper I ended up was still a bit on the long side, but it did not bother me.
This fall when I started wearing the cardigan again, the zipper started to really rub against my neck and the cardigan was very uncomfortable. I think what happened is that I sewed one half of the zipper fairly loosely and as it loosened up more, the zipper shifted. I ended up taking out the zipper and replacing it with an even shorter zipper (16", I think). Much better! As an added bonus, I prefer the look of the zipper with the bigger teeth.
Initially I didn't want to go with such a short zipper since I was afraid it would make the cardigan look even more hand made. One day I noticed that one of my coworkers had a cardigan with a shorter zipper. It definitely did not look home made! If it worked on that cardigan, it will have to work on mine too.
One side of the zipper is still sewed on too loosely so I am most likely looking at more cardigan repair in the future... Maybe DMC 80 is not the best thread to use when attaching zippers to cardigans! The cardigan is much more comfortable to wear though and that's all that matters.
I'm still so impressed you've knitted something you can wear. I've still not managed that, and indeed need to frog something I started about 2 years ago and know I won't finish. Glad it's comfortable now - from here it looks great!
ReplyDelete