A while back - like a few months ago - I thought of picking up knotted lace again. I am so inspired to make beautiful knotted lace flowers, but I need a lot more practice with knotted lace before I can even think of making them!
I know how to make the basic knots, but tension is still a huge problem. Rather than making small samples that would turn out really ugly due to uneven tension, I decided to practice just making the basic loops.
The photo above is how far I have gotten. The idea is really simple - rows of basic loops and then build upon that. It's hard to see in the scan, but the foundation is a piece of ribbon a few inches long.
I have noticed in the past that my basic loops are in fairly decent shape tension-wise, but things fall apart when I start making large loops and picots. That is what I am working on now. Or at least, that is what I had started a few months ago right after I scanned this. I should pick it up again!
I now wish I had started with finer thread. In this practice piece I am still using DMC Cebelia No. 30, which I find very thick. Eventually I want to move to size 80 thread. Even though tension will most likely change when I move to finer thread, all this practice should still count for something. At least that's the hope!

No comments:
Post a Comment