Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bobbin Lace Bat




I really don't know why it took me so long to post this critter!  I finished it at the very end of January and then it sat draped over my pillow until today!

I have wanted to make this bat since I fist saw the pattern in an IOLI bulletin.  I think it is from 2008, but since the bulletin is not in front of me I am not sure.  At any rate, the pattern has been on my mind a long time.

Now that it is complete, I hate to say I am sightly disappointed by it.  I had planned on hanging the bat from a wall-mounted light, but they way the pattern is drawn, the wings pull forward and it does not want to lie flat against the wall.  Starching would solve that, but I don't want to starch.  It's still a cute bat though, even though it will not hang from the light!

I decided to make this with DMC Special Dentelles 80, which I would not recommend.  It is not suitable for bobbin lace at all!  At one point I had visions of making two bats (one to hag from each light), but I decided against it when working since the thread was so hard to work with.

It is probably not obvious form the scan, but there is also a metallic gimp - Kreinik braid No. 12 in black.  It's very subtle and I like the effect a lot.


1 comment:

  1. Splendid bat! I hope you find a good way of displaying it.

    ReplyDelete