Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sweet Rose


I really, really, really like bobbin lace.  In fact it's my favorite lace to make, just because the possibilities are endless.  There is so much you can do with a pillow and a few (or many!) bobbins.  Plus it's a lot of fun to make!

This piece is Sweet Rose from Idrija Lace.  I started it on New Year's eve and was surprised how quickly the bloom worked up.  It helps that it's really pretty!  Before actually starting the lace, I decided on the order:

-bloom
-stem
-frame
-ground

Soon after I started the stem, I realized that the way the pattern is drawn, it would look better if I started the stem from the bloom, meaning that I would have to do the frame first.  At that point I didn't want to cut off the stem, so I continued.  That was a mistake.  At least it's not as noticeable now that it's off the pillow, but it still bothers me.  Oh well, lesson learned.  I really do like the bloom though and will probably make just the bloom again.  

1 comment: